Autism Awareness Card

Monday, January 31, 2011
This week is all about supporting your cause at Fantabulous Cricut. We are challenging you to make a project in honour of a cause near and dear to your heart (i.e. breast cancer awareness, autism, MADD, etc.).
I created my card to support Autism Awareness.  I am incredibly involved in the autism community.  I am a member of the Ontario Autism Association and attend meetings and volunteer with our local chapter.  In addition, much of the research focus of my academic studies relates to students with ASD (autism spectrum disorder).    But, most importantly, I am the parent of a child with ASD.  My son truly is a blessing and a gift - and has many gifts of his own.  He is absolutely brilliant and scores years ahead of his peers on academic testing.  He has an incredible sense of humour and is honest and dependable.   And he plays along when I insist that I am only 21!  I would not be complete without him in my life and I thank God each day for allowing me the privilege of being his mother. 

The image on my card is from the "Together for Autism Campaign" (which I've just discovered has ended, unfortunately).  I printed it onto heavy cardstock and then hand cut it out.  The children have puzzle pieces on their shirts, and I've also added an additional puzzle piece cut from My Community, as the puzzle piece is the universal symbol of autism.  It represents the puzzling condition of autism and also how individuals on the spectrum just don't seem to "fit in" with the rest of society. 

The frame and shadow behind the image were cut from George and Basic Shapes.  The orange layer was run through the Cuttlebug with a Spots and Dots folder.  The background mat was embossed with a Cuttlebug Measure by Measure Ruler border folder and then I used my Martha Stewart score board to extend some of the lines.  I added some gems to finish things off.

Please join us at FCCB this week and create something to support a cause that means something to you. 

***Don't forget:  Next Monday begins our "Share the Love" Blog Crawl at Fantabulous Cricut.  With lots of project inspiration and prizes along the way, this is one event you are not going to want to miss!***

(Also entered at Crop Stop.)

18 comments

MiamiKel said...

Oh Kate, this card is just simply outstanding. The design and beauty and love that went into it just warms my heart. I got teary eyed reading your post as it's near and dear to my heart as well- I have a highly functioning Austistic 14 y/o niece and she is such a joy to us. I never thought to be as involved as you are with the chapters and meetings and you have inspired me to look beyond! Thank you :) I'll see if I can find this challenge and hope to play along - blessings!

Besthobbyeva said...

Kate, what an awesome story! The card so matches the story, very clever. I love how your son still agrees you are 21, fantastic!!

I love the colors you chose and the folder you used, great, great card. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Rhonda Emery said...

kate you are such a amazing person. this is an amazing story and your card shows your caring heart. I love it. hugs

Linda Kaiser said...

Kate: Thanks for sharing your personal story with us. Your card now means even more. You are such a kind and caring person with a huge heart! Take care my friend!

Linda

Saundra said...

Kate, thank you for sharing your story. You did a beautiful job with your card.

Hugs,
Saundra
PS. Thank you for the beautiful card. I love it!

Kel said...

Thanks for sharing this great card and for sharing your personal story. As a teacher in early education I've been touched in so many ways by these amazing children and their families.

Vicki said...

What a fabulous card! Love your cause and the embossing choices are wonderful. Thanks for playing along with our CropStop Challenge Blog!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is a really great card, and your cause is amazing!

Love the ruler embossing folder!

Rhonda Emery said...

I am so glad that you got your mini. I am so glad you love it. Sometimes its hard to make when I dont have pictures to try to figure out how to put it all together. I hope you gets lots of good out of it. hugs to you,

Tara said...

Kate, this is a wonderful card! I love the colours and how it all came together!
Tara

Angi Barrs said...

I love that you are supporting Autism as your cause Kate. I can so relate since I also have a child on the ASD spectrum. Love the embossing. :)

Michelle Pearson said...

adorable card!! Thanks for playing the CropStop Challenge!

Gloria Stengel said...

Very cute card, and such a wonderful cause! I think your son sounds amazing. And if he says you are 21, so you are! Can you get him to say I am 29???? hee hee

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Such a wonderful card Kate. I really like the puzzle piece that you added the "ruler" embossing along the bottom. I could feel the love in your words as your wrote about your son and it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your story.

~Tammy~ said...

Kate, your post really touched my heart! I have a son with several special needs and thank you for what you are doing in local area for research. Your card has so many amazing qualities it is clear that you put a lot of love and time into it! Thanks for sharing a piece of your life with us!

Marianne S. said...

Your card is so cute... It made me smile when I seen it! I have a teenage son that is on the Autism Spectrum. Can you let me know where you found the stamp images, I would like to have one too? As a parent I want to say thank you so much for all that you do in your area for this cause. I would love to have you come over and visit me on my blog. Thank you for sharing.

Marianne S.
sthquilter at gmail dot com
www.paperorfabric.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Nice thing to do while your snowed in, they're very cute.

Arlene said...

This is super cute. I am a new follower...so glad I found you. Your blog is inspirational.

Arlene.
http://waterdots.blogspot.com/

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>