Game Controller Card and Box

Saturday, January 22, 2011
My son has a birthday party to attend for one of his classmates.  When I first saw "Wrap It Up", I immediately noticed the game controller and thought it would be perfect to use on a boy's card.
I created the card at 3.5 inches.  As I did the base in black, I wanted a lighter colour for the inside on which to write.  I used the main image and manipulated it to fit inside the card.  I used a Cuttlebug Koi embossing folder for the handles of the controller.  Initially, I had cut the front of the card at 3.5 as well, but did not like the look so manipulated the image in order to have a bit of a frame around it and re-cut it.  I then ran it through the Cuttlebug using a Polka Dots embossing folder.  I hid some contours when cutting out the buttons of the controller and then cut the little bits out separately in red.  I used Glossy Accents on the buttons too.
I cut the box at 6.75 inches and also ran it through the Cuttlebug using a Polka Dots embossing folder.  The controller was embossed using a Swiss Dots folder.  I added Glossy Accents to the buttons on the box as well.  I hand cut a piece of coordinating red cardstock to go behind the window, first embossing it with a Happy Birthday folder.

My children were so excited about these and were pretending to use the card as a controller!  As I was waiting for the Glossy Accents to dry, my son received a call inviting him to attend another party next weekend.  His friend is renting a video game store for the entire night so the boys will be able to play to their hearts' content.  I think I will make another set for that party as well.  It seems fitting!

I will enter this project at The Cuttlebug Spot, where this week the inspiration challenge is children's games and at My Time to Craft where the challenge is spots and dots.

19 comments

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is fab! So super fun! Love it!

the cricutologist said...

Oh my goodness! This is super cool! Great job! Thanks for your advice on my blog. Thanks for following & posting about my blog.

Besthobbyeva said...

Oh Kate, this is awesome! I love it! So appropriate for those gamers! Great great job!! So creative!! Your son's friend will love it as well!!

Jinny Newlin said...

Oh, Kate! These are fantastic! I'm so not a gamer, but I would recognize what it was ANYWHERE! Great work! Hey, and thank you so much for the birthday wishes! It was a fun day!

April said...

What a clever idea! You did a great job! Love it!

Dana said...

Really really cute. Thanks for sharing.

http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

~Tammy~ said...

Kate, this is pretty darn fabulous! Awesome!!!

Tracey said...

Wow Kate.......I have this cartridge coming, after seeing your fantastic creation I can't wait to get it! The colours are great, perfect card for a boy:)

Kim H said...

OMG... that is so cute, clever and totally a GREAT idea! LOVE it!
tfs

sucor said...

What a creative and fun idea! Awesome job!

the cricutologist said...

Hi Kate! How do I number my comments? I want to learn that before friday b/c that is when I will do the random.org pick a winner thing. Thanks for offering to help me. Is there a website?

Rhonda Emery said...

this is so cute kate. wow he will love that. I love it too and I dont even play games. ha

DonnaMundinger said...

So cute! Especially love the little pillow box and fab embossing! xxD

Jannie said...

Hi, this is amazing! What a great gift idea for boys!!! TFS and playing with us!!

Norma said...

OMG Kate!!! I have to agree with all the ladies very clever and awesome idea!! My son would totally LOVE this!! TFS
Hugs,
Norma

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Girl...Your creativity is AMAZING!!! My son would have been "playing" with it too!!!

Maria Elena said...

Awesomeeee !! Looks real !! LOL

Have a great Wednesday ;-)
http://mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/

Tara said...

My mouth fell open when I saw these! AWESOME!
Tara

Anna Dawn said...

I LOVE this! We used to play a lot of video games so I totally appreciate your authenticity! It totally looks like you could really play with them!

You have an Awesome Blog! I love all the cards you make, Especially the Headless Snowman!!! LOL! I can't believe how much detail you put into your work, it's absolutely amazing! All the Cuttlebug embossing makes such a difference. I totally need to stock up on some of those folders! Where do you get all yours?

Anyways, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments! I'll definitely be coming back to yours!

-Anna Dawn
www.memoriesbyannadawn.blogspot.com

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>